Chicken in Lettuce Cup
1 Tbsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
3 Tbsp less-sodium soy sauce
1~2 tsp pure honey
1 Tbsp unflavored Asian sesame oil
2 large skinless chicken half-breasts, or 6 pieces of boneless/skinless thighs, cut into small pieces 3/4” square
4 celery stalks chopped
1 head of iceberg, Boston or lettuce of your choice
¼ cup unsalted cashews, peanuts, pine nuts or defrosted, cooked edamame (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine ginger, soy sauce and honey and set aside.
- In a medium size non-stick pan, on medium heat, heat the sesame oil (Asian sesame oil burns very fast, just warm it).
- Add cut chicken chunks, raise the heat to medium-high and stirring occasionally, cook for 5 min.
Stir in celery and cook for another 2 min. Add soy sauce mixture, stirring occasionally, cook until chicken is cooked through, sauce is absorbed and coats chicken and cut celery.
- Add the nuts or edamame, stir for 5 seconds and remove from heat.
- Arrange 4~6 lettuce leaf cups (size of your palm) formed like a bowl.
- Cut the rest of the leaves in 2.5” x 3.5” size and stack them on a platter.
- Fill the cups with the chicken mixture.
- Set small spoons at the table setting so initially you scoop the chicken mixture by spoon onto the cut lettuce to eat out of hand and eventually finish it off with the lettuce cup.
食福 (chiah hok) – Eat well, enjoy good food!