Oyako-don • 親子丼 • Parent-and-Child Bowl
Recipe by: Fae’s Twist & Tango (fae-magazine.com)
• 2 cups of Japanese rice cooked per direction on the rice package.
• 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 454 g/ 1 lb chicken thigh meat (boneless, skinless, fats trimmed), cut in bite size
• 200 g/ 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced in 7mm/¼“ thick crescent
• 2 cups water
• 1 ½ Tbsp sugar
• 2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp memmi (Japanese bottled dashi sauce)
• 8 small shiitake mushrooms (optional)
• 4 stems green onion cut in 2.5 cm/1” length
• 4 ~ 6 eggs beaten with fork
◊ In a skillet that has a lid, pour oil and put on high heat until hot. Add cut chicken and fry until golden. Add half of the cut onion, and water. Stir and put the lid on and bring to boil. Lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
◊ Add sugar, soy sauce, memmi and the other half of onion. Stir and put the lid on. Lower the heat between medium to medium-low and let it simmer for another 10~12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
◊ If the liquid has evaporated, add some hot water to make sure to have at least 1½ cups of liquid/sauce. Add the shiitake mushrooms and let it simmer for 1 minute more.
◊ Increase the heat to medium. Add the cut scallions, stir once and immediately pour the beaten eggs all over the cooking ingredients and put on the lid. It is best not to overcook the egg mixture. When the eggs set, it is ready to serve.
◊ Dish out some cooked hot rice in a larger Japanese bowl and dish out big piece of chicken-vegetable-set-in-eggs over the rice.
~ どうぞめしあがれ • Douzo Meshiagare ~
So, what’s cooking in your kitchen?