Oyako-donburi / Parent-and-Child Bowl
Parent being the chicken and the child being the egg… a rice dish topped with chicken and vegetables set in eggs.
- Cook 2 cups of Japanese rice per direction on the rice package.
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion
1 lb chicken thigh meat (boneless, skinless and very well trimmed of fat)
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp memmi (Japanese bottled sauce)
8 small shiitake mushrooms
- Cut chicken in bite size and set aside.
- Cut the scallions in 1” length and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the onion in half and slice in ¼“thick, pieces.
- In a skillet that has a lid, pour 2 Tbsp of oil and put on high heat until hot. Add the cut onion.
- Stir it several times until the onion is translucent and just getting golden on the edges.
- Add cut chicken and fry until brown. Add water, sugar, soy sauce and memmi.
- Put the lid on, and bring to boil. Lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for 30~40 minutes until the chicken is cooked. If the liquid has evaporated, add some hot water to make sure to have at least a cup worth of liquid. Add the shiitake mushrooms and let it simmer for I minute.
- Add the cut scallions, stir once and immediately pour the beaten eggs all over the cooking ingredients.
- Put on the lid and lower the heat to medium-low. When the eggs set, it is ready to serve.
- Dish out some cooked hot rice in a larger Japanese bowl and dish out big piece of chicken-vegetable-set-in-eggs over the rice.
Douzo Meshiagare! (Please have your meal!)