Apple Cake with Walnuts & Raisins
1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
4½ Tbsp vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1½ tsp vanilla
3 medium Fuji apples (peeled, cored and diced)
1 cup (5 oz) walnuts cut in small pieces
1½ cups (7 oz) raisins (check to remove any stems)
- Place rack on middle oven shelf and preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, with electric mixer, beat the eggs with sugar until very creamy. Add oil and vanilla, continue beating for a few more seconds.
- Into liquid mixture, sprinkle flour in several batches and stir with a spatula until mixed well and thick.
- Add cut apples and mix well. Then add walnuts and raisins and mix well.
- With parchment paper, line a 13″x9″ baking pan, leaving an overhang on two sides.
- Pour the cake mixture into the lined baking pan and bake for 45 minutes or until inserted toothpick test comes out clean/dry.
- Let the baked cake cool in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes.
Carefully holding the two sides of overhang parchment paper, lift and transfer the cake and put it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, pick up the cake by the overhang parchment paper and place it horizontally on a cutting board.
- Using a serrated bread knife, cut cake vertically in the center into two pieces.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper from each piece and place cakes back on the cutting board.
- Again cut each piece vertically in half. Now there are 4 pieces of 3.25″x9″.
Cut each cake into 6 pieces = 24 pieces of 3.25″x 1.5″.