Celebration of L♡VE, an international language with no barrier.
You are in for a treat! Once you’ve had this treat, you will be reminiscing about its taste forever.
It is not a low-cal dessert… and that’s what makes it so delicious!
Baklava/Baghlava Ice Cream • بستنی باقلوا
Recipe by: Fae’s Twist & Tango (fae-magazine.com)
• Parchment-paper (usually comes in 38cm/15″ width) – cut and have ready 2 sheets of 38 x 25 cm (15″x10″) and 1 sheet of 25 x 20 cm (10″x8″), plus for lining
• Baking-pan: inside flat dimensions at least 41 x 25 cm (16″ x 10″) – lined with parchment-paper
• Square deep dish (flat bottom 18 x 13 cm/ 7″ x 5″), glass or plastic storage lined with parchment-paper
• Pastry brush (silicone brush preferable, to avoid any thistles in the food)
• Dish towel (to cover and keep filo from drying, each time a sheet is used)
• Sharp knife
• 320 gr / 11oz / 1½ cup vanilla ice-cream
• 3 Tbsp finely chopped (not quite ground) blanched, roasted almonds (slivered almonds)
• 1½ Tbsp coarsely chopped, unsalted pistachios
• ¾ tsp ground cardamom
• ¾ tsp rosewater
• 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
• 3 Tbsp water
• 1 Tbsp rosewater
For crispy filo
• 5 sheets filo (phyllo or fillo) dough, cut in half to make 10 sheets of 30cm x 20cm (about 12″x8″)
. .(usually, filo come in 454 gr box, 30cm x 40cm | 16 oz 12”x16”)
. .Thawed overnight in refrigerator. Keep in packaging and refrigerated until time to use.
• 113 gr / 4oz / 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
• 1 tsp finely chopped (not quite ground) unsalted pistachios (optional)
For garnish / topping
• 1 Tbsp finely chopped (not quite ground) unsalted pistachios (optional)
◊ Best if prepared the day before, to assure its firmness – Spoon-out ice-cream into a medium bowl and leave it at room-temperature for one minute to soften just a little. Add other four ingredients and mix well. Pour into the square dish, flatten the top, cover, and return to freezer to harden. (Square dish is used for cutting ice-cream into square pieces to be placed over the baked filo. Otherwise, ice-cream can be frozen in the bowl and scooped out in balls.)
◊ Combine sugar and water in small saucepan and bring to a boil (swirl the saucepan but do not stir with spoon). When it is fully bubbling and sugar has dissolved, turn off heat, add rosewater, swirl, and set aside to cool.
For crispy filo
◊ Place rack on middle oven shelf and preheat oven to 190°C/375°F.
◊ Line a cutting board with one of the 36 x 25 cm sheets. Brush butter all over the parchment-paper. Place one filo-sheet, evenly centered on the buttered parchment-paper. Brush butter all over the filo-sheet. Place another filo-sheet and brush butter. Repeat 3 more times (= 5 buttered filo-sheets). Sprinkle pistachio all over the top. Place the 6th filo-sheet and brush butter. Repeat this 3 more times (= 9 buttered filo-sheets). Place the 10th filo-sheet and don’t brush butter yet. Place the second 36 x 25 cm parchment paper on top and by hand, firmly press stacked filo-sheets all over.
◊ Remove the top parchment paper. Cut 6 heart-shapes (see photo below, or shape of choice) using a cookie-cutter or tip of a sharp knife, strategically. Carefully lift the shapes and place them on one side of the lined baking-pan. Cut the rest of the stacked filo into at least 6 pieces, to be used as a base for the ice-creams (see photo below). Lift all remaining stacked filo-sheets, with the parchment-paper under them and place on other side of the lined baking-pan. (To fit on the baking-pan, if necessary, cut off unnecessary bit-pieces on the sides of the stacked filo.)
◊ Brush butter on top of the cut-out shapes and entire surface of stacked filo-sheets. Use the parchment-paper again to cover the stacked filo-sheets and use other smaller, cut piece to cover the shapes. Press the paper sheets on.
◊ Place baking-pan in the oven and bake for about 13~15 minutes or until light golden-brown (watch closely not to burn). Take out of oven, remove the top parchment-papers, pour syrup all over the crispy baked filo pieces while hot, and let absorb and cool.
◊ When ready to serve: Place each base filo piece on an individual serving plate. Place cut or scooped ice-cream on each of the base filo pieces. Place hearts or top filo on the ice-cream, sprinkle with pistachio pieces and serve.
~ نوش جان • Noushe jan! ~
Happy Valentine’s Day
¯˜”*° ♡ °*”˜¯
You may also enjoy: