This is a basic and most simple way of making barley soup. Check out the ‘Option variety’ section below to make your own original barley soup.
Recipe by: Fae’s Twist & Tango (fae-magazine.com)
• ½ cup pearled barley
• 4 cups water
• ½ tsp salt – adjust to salt amount in broth
• pepper to taste
• 1 small leek – sliced (see photo for cleaning instruction)
• 2 cups chicken broth
◊ Pearled barley tends to foam a lot during the cooking process and needs to be frequently checked. To avoid overflowing as much as possible, just before cooking, put the pearled barley in a large enough bowl with plenty of water. In the water, rub them between two hands to scrape off any powdery substance. Drain in a fine-meshed colander, rinse until clear water runs through. Do not pre-soak.
◊ In a deep, medium sized pot, add washed pearled barley, 4 cups of room-temperature water, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
◊ Add the sliced leek, chicken broth and simmer for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
◊ Using a hand-held or regular blender, purée the cooked barley and leek.
– Instead of leek, dice 1 small onion (110 g/4oz). Sauté in 1 tsp vegetable oil or butter, until slightly golden. Add at the time leek was to be added.
– To enhance visually by adding a bit of color to the soup, at the time of serving, add 3 Tbsp of blanched, finely diced carrots and/or 2 Tbsp of chopped parsley or cilantro.
– For hearty soup, add legume of choice, cooked or canned, drained and rinsed thoroughly (for easy of digestion), add finely chopped fresh herbs (such as cilantro) finely diced carrots and
skip the blending.
Serving suggesting for plain version (photo below):
◊ 1- plain, 2- with cream, 3- with lemon juice, 4- garnish with chopped scallion, 5- with fresh ground pepper
~ Bon Appétit! ~
So, what’s cooking in your kitchen?